Find groups and seminars that help you strengthen your spirituality, your health and your family. Gatherings take place on Saturday’s from 9:30-10:30 am unless otherwise noted.
ONGOING WEEKLY GROUPS
- Bible Study. June-Sept: “The Least of These.” Download English study guide here.
- Grace Center Book Discussion. “Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again.” This new book by Rachel Held Evans asks what does it mean to say the Bible is “inspired”? Growing up as a fundamentalist Christian, losing her faith, and finding it again, Rachel examines this and other questions. Three quotes from her book, published shortly before her untimely death this year:
• “I have come to regard with some suspicion those who claim that the Bible never troubles them. I can only assume this means they haven’t actually read it.”
• “If we train ourselves not to ask hard questions about the Bible … how will we know when we’ve got it wrong?”
• “What I love about the Bible is the story isn’t over. There are still prophets in our midst. There are still dragons and beasts. It might not look like it, but the Resistance is winning. The light is breaking through.”
Come and be prepared to be enlightened as we discuss together!
- The Living Project Support Group. Interactive sharing where each person’s story becomes part of the bigger story that is being told through all of us.
• Senior Academy, September 21, 2019, 12:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall. Each third Saturday of the month we provide a special meal and fellowship time for members in the “third half of life,” as well as seeking to address questions you as seniors may have.
• Los Angeles Adventist Forum.September 28, 3:00 p.m. The Speaker is Gilbert M. Valentine, PhD, recently retired Professor of Leadership & Administration, La Sierra University, School of Education. He will be addressing the topic of his recent book, “The Struggle for the Prophetic Heritage, (Issues in the Conflict for the Control of the Ellen G. White Publications, l930-l939).” Available @ AmazonOnline. All are welcome; admission is free. Adventist Forum, publishers of SPECTRUM and spectrummagazine.org, is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization committed to promoting community through conversation in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. City Church hosts the Los Angeles Chapter.